Thursday, July 24, 2008

The good guys always win

The difference between changing your mind and second-guessing yourself is defined by your actions.

It was not long ago that my son asked me why the good guys always win. I laughed. “Well, honey, the victors have the honor of writing the history books.” My 4-year old looked at me funny. “We all hope that we make the right decisions, but at the end of the day, we only know for sure in hindsight. So, it becomes a matter of perspective. Not to say the end justifies the means, but even the most honorable decisions may appear dishonorable, or vice versa, depending on who views them through the lens of time.”

“What, Mommy?”

“All you can do is do your best and try to be one of the ‘good guys’ by always making good choices. If you make good choices, you will know you won by how your heart feels.”

My 4-year old finally looked satisfied. “It makes me happy to make good choices. That makes me win.” (This would work for our U.S. energy strategy as well, if everyone would listen to their mommies.)

Did she pick the right name? It hardly matters. The victory is in the confidence to change your mind; to take action, or decide to move on. It becomes a victory. Emerge victorious.

No comments: