I admit it. I am not exactly sure how much vegetable matter they should be consuming, but I bet they fall short. Call it motherly intuition.
Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, I have discovered the 'secret' to encouraging vegetable consumption. Merely follow these simple steps.
1. Purchase the largest, freshest, and most expensive artichoke available in the Cleveland area.
2. Steam it carefully for nearly an hour while you feed your children other healthy foods.
3. Tell them that it is a huge flower, looks very weird, is expensive, and is 'Mommy's treat.' (You are now half-way there).
4. Take your children outside and let them ride their bicycles so they will leave you alone while you consume this gorgeous artichoke - uh, very gracefully in your lap sitting in the kid's wagon.
5. Pretty soon, that curly-headed girl will wonder what you are doing. Reluctantly let her try one.
6. When she gets tired of standing, hovering over your precious artichoke, let her sit down in the wagon with you.
7. Exchange nibbled leaves for freshly steamed leaves from your bowl. Repeat.