Monday, December 15, 2008

A Tangled Web of Friends

I wrote last night, ever so briefly, about Indy losing her mother. I fell onto my pillow reflecting upon the other half of the story.

Indy heard about her loss at 2am on Sunday morning. Her family gathered together to share the news, support each other.

As of Sunday morning, Mike had mentioned this tragic loss to one or two friends. At 1pm, I received the call.

“Is it true?”

I didn’t know. Mike’s friend told his wife, who saw Indy’s friend S in church. S called A who called C to confirm the news. C called me at home. I called Indy. Within 20 minutes, I sent an e-mail to another half-dozen friends who forwarded it on to those within Indy’s inner circle. Before dinnertime on Sunday, I received such an outpouring of love in my inbox that Indy now has meals scheduled well into next week. Another friend offered to babysit my kids, so I can help with both hands. Indy reported a phonecall from Iowa. The news made onto the blog, onto Facebook. Everyone knows.

Cookies will be made, flowers ordered, cards sent, gifts arranged, love offered.

In the halls of preschool, another friend offered to bring cookies for the preschool party in her place. The Pastor already knew; mutual thank yous were exchanged for supporting our friend.

“Is there anything else we can do?”

My van will be honored to transport friends to be with her for the Visitation. In the preschool parking lot, we counted the rsvp’s, and determined that my 8-passenger minivan may not be big enough for this event. Laughter rang out in the rain. Yes, our biggest problem is transporting all the LOVE.

This tangled web of friends . . . we all know, we all care.

Consider it done.

6 comments:

Indy said...

With tears in my eyes, all I can say is that I feel the love. Thank you.

Rachel said...

Your such a great person!!!

Badass Geek said...

I'm sorry to hear about Indy's loss. She is lucky to have such a wonderful person in her life, such as you.

Jessica said...

Let me know if I can do anything...
-Jessica B.

enthalpymama said...

It is just amazing. I just sent out an email and said my van was going to see Indy. Everyone jumped. There were ten of us together last night. I am NEVER EVER moving.

And, for those of you who I have been neglecting on line, my huge apologies.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.
-A